Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Methodology, lesson one: Reflections in a hall of mirrors

Have yet to teach this class, so these are the answers to the questions I can ask. All good for preparation.

Questions about your students
(1) I only see the third grade only once a week. They, like all young kids are a cute bunch, noisy and have yet to learn self control. (2) How ever they respond well to the activities, once they know what we want from them, and it usually goes well.
(3) There are as in all classes, different students at different levels. The slower one I try to assist, but for the the higher level students I intend to give them some extra tasks like a short puzzle or word find to keep them busy. (4) It's a low level class and the resources are tailored toward that student. I really don't think they are challenged. Of course, the education environment doesn't tend to challenge them at all. The students draw from previous lessons, and the resources are there to 'input' when necessary with knowledge for the task.
(5) He or she learned the target language, and possibly a little bit of the culture with stories translated into Korean. (6) What I think they enjoy the most are the games at the end of the lesson. I aslo think that they enjoy my eliciting at the beginning of the lesson too. (7) Generally, most students respond well, be that a task or a chant or a game. With regards to elicitation, some students don't do well or just don't know but, these students are in the minority.

Questions to ask yourself as a language teacher
I have to teach from the book. As to the start of the lesson, I use mime, flashcards, pictures on the LCD screen all to elicit words, sentences, ideas and phrases. This is getting in the context and leads to an initial task for the students to do. (2) I've done a CELTA course and its highly practical.At the moment my practical skills are fine, but there's always room for improvement. So I'm looking to learn more theory about teaching and about students; that's why I'm here. (3) As far as development goes, it's going at a slow rate, but taking classes  do help, and also prevent myself from failing into a rut and crystallisation of my meodology. (4) I think I am creative, inventive and a good skill base. (5) Though, this can lead to lessons that are too difficult for the students. More empathy for the students perhaps? An external observer to give me feedback would be helpful too. (6) I do tend to favour higher level students. (7) I would like to know more techniques and also to know my students better. (8) I can help my students by helping those who need it. Taking the time to get to know my students by playing, talking to, and taking an interest in their lives. (9) What is satisfying is the happy faces at the end of the lesson and the satisfaction that I've taught a language point successfully.

I'l update the section on what happened in the lesson when I have taught it.

No comments:

Post a Comment